Investing: we know we should do it, but there’s always something that gives us a slight pause before starting. Well, pause no longer! Use these 44 motivating quotes about investing to get you excited about planning for your financial future.
Investing is something we all do, whether we realize it or not. Sometimes we think of it as a sacrifice. However, the reward you reap is well-worth the pain you may feel now.
When you think about it, everything you do has consequences, and every decision you make (big or small) changes things. Your choices open some doors and close others. You make good decisions and bad decisions and you win some, you lose some. We know this to be true from life experience, and it’s also true of investing.
Whether in time, money, or education, investment opportunity is everywhere. I scoured the web for the best motivational quotes about investing to help inspire you to open some new doors.
Why You Need These Quotes
Unfortunately, the fear of losing (or of shutting doors) can scare us away from investing in ourselves and in our futures. But, it’s not the only thing keeping us away from the very investments that’ll bring prosperity for years to come. All too often our priorities push back investing in the future for the temporary benefits of today.
So, let’s take a mental reset with the perspective given by these 44 motivational quotes about investing below. Even the most unmotivated would-be investor is bound to find nuggets of inspiration in this list. And hopefully, this will encourage you to take that first step in investing in your future.
Let’s look together at what the most successful investors, businessmen, and US presidents had to say regarding investment.
44 Motivating Quotes About Investing
Here you’ll find words of wisdom from King Solomon to Walt Disney. You also find some of the best lines from billionaire Warren Buffet, millionaire author Robert Kyosaki, and good old “anonymous.”
Use this list of quotes about investing as daily inspiration, or plow through them all right now. It’s time to get investment-minded. Let’s do this!
1. “The biggest risk of all is not taking one.” — Mellody Hobson
If you don’t invest, you lose opportunity which is another way to say, “nothing ventured, nothing gained.”
2. “Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it. He who doesn’t, pays it.” — Albert Einstein
This unexpected equation by history’s favorite genius illustrates the importance of leveraging financial systems to your benefit by investing.
3. “I suppose my formula might be: Dream, diversify and never miss an angle.” — Walt Disney
Investing isn’t always cold and analytical. Investing in the future is also a matter of the heart. This quote captures both beautifully.
4. With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future.” — Carlos Slim Helu
This encourages us to learn from the past in order to make informed and confident investment decisions.
5. “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.” — King Solomon
The wisest human in the history of the world believed in diversifying your investments to hedge against unexpected loss.
6. “An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.” — Benjamin Franklin
This is not about student loans! The more you know, the better you will be at making informed decisions. This truth leads to a richer and fuller life in the world of finance and beyond.
7. “The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.” — Warren Buffett
We all have a time limit. Living paycheck to paycheck is not sustainable. The message here is how to find peace in investing and changing your habits for how you deal with money.
8. “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” — Thomas Edison
Earn to invest, don’t invest to earn. Don’t expect any investment to put you on easy street.
9. “The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.” — Franklin D. Roosevelt
This is another line about boldness and the limitations we accept by not taking risks.
10 “The circulation of confidence is better than the circulation of money.” — James Madison
Here again, a United States president emphasizes bold investment decisions as pivotal in the world of finance.
11. “Never depend on a single income, make an investment to create a second source.” — Warren Buffet
Investing can be a good revenue source to supplement your regular work. But, this is also a sobering reminder of what Edison said about opportunity.
12. “Do not save what is left after spending but spend what is left after saving.” — Warren Buffet
Pay yourself first, in other words. Otherwise, nothing will be left and you know it!
13. “Do not put all your eggs in one basket.” — Warren Buffet
Here is a more popular quote that echoes the wise words of Solomon. It also happens to be one of my favorite quotes about investing! If you drop one basket, you want some eggs to be safely nestled in another.
14. “Never test the depth of the river with both of your feet.” — Warren Buffet
I like this quote because it’s cautionary as well as inspiring. It empowers us to make tiny but bold decisions to see what happens.
15. “I made my first investment at age eleven. I was wasting my life until then.” — Warren Buffet
You can never start too early!
16. “Every decade or so, dark clouds will fill the economic skies, and they will briefly rain gold.” — Warren Buffett
This is a reference to the cyclical aspect of the economy. There is often a predictable moment of opportunity for investors when things seem bleak.
17. “I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful.” — Warren Buffett
This is true. You have to do the opposite when it comes to trading. Buy when confidence is low and sell when it is high.
18. “I don’t look to jump over seven-foot bars; I look around for one-foot bars that I can step over.” — Warren Buffett
This is another allusion to opportunity versus get-rich-quick. The best way to gain wealth is with small plays that pay off.
19. “To be a successful business owner and investor, you have to be emotionally neutral to winning and losing Winning and losing are just part of the game.” — Robert Kiyosaki
Losses can set off alarms and lead to poor decisions. Accept losses and keep investing.
20. “The philosophy of the rich and the poor is this: the rich invest their money and spend what is left. The poor spend their money and invest what is left.” — Robert Kiyosaki
Here’s another take on paying yourself first. You must get past the mentality of putting your future on hold.
21. “Don’t work for money; make it work for you.” — Robert Kiyosaki
This is a perfect summary of what investments are. It’s a bold statement and it ignores opportunity in overalls. The point is, you’re missing something if you don’t invest.
22. “If you do not know how to care for money, money will stay away from you.” — Robert T. Kiyosaki
It seems as though money has a mind of its own and seeks good relationships. Those who treat money well get more of it.
23. “It’s not how much money you make, but how much money you keep, how hard it works for you, and how many generations you keep it for.” — Robert Kiyosaki
This is one of the quotes about investing that really get to me. Here are the building blocks of wealth – earnings are just half the equation. Live within your means and you can turn low income into future wealth. All the while, the rich continue to pay expenses that match or exceed their massive earnings.
24. “A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children.” — King Solomon
This, and another quote from Solomon, are foundations for Kiyosaki’s reasoning. You can impact future generations with what you do today.
The other quote is, “Where there are no oxen, the manger is empty, but from the strength of an ox come abundant harvests.” It means that you can keep your money by not having an ox, but oxen are investments that yield wealth.
25. “Investment is an asset or item that is purchased with the hope that it will generate income or appreciate in the future.” — Anonymous
This breaks down why we invest and motivates us to move forward by the simple truth of it.
26. An investor without investment objectives is like a traveler without a destination.” — Anonymous
This takes me back to Walt Disney’s quote about dreaming. You need a goal or purpose, not just to motivate you to start, but so you know when to stop. Otherwise, it’s like the layover from hell.
27. “Invest in your mind. Invest in your health.” — Anonymous
Investment isn’t just about financial wealth. Attuning yourself to be investment-minded can yield other benefits.
28. “You cannot save time for future use. But you can invest it for the future you.” — Anonymous
I have thyme in a bottle, but even that expires. What this quote means is that time passes regardless of what we do. The only way to leverage it is to put it to good use now as an investment in tomorrow.
29. “Your body will be around a lot longer than that expensive handbag. Invest in yourself.” — Anonymous
This quote is all about perspective – it presents a choice. A choice between costly goods that lose their luster or taking care of yourself well after those items are gone.
30. “Do something today that your future self will thank you for.” — Anonymous
This is another succinct take on the purpose of investing that would go great on a poster somewhere.
31. “Behind every stock is a company. Find out what it’s doing.” — Peter Lynch
Absolutely. This takes us back to what Benjamin Franklin said about knowledge. This is not only one of the best quotes about investing but also some pretty solid business advice too!
32. “All you need for a lifetime of successful investing is a few big winners, and the pluses from those will overwhelm the minuses from the stocks that don’t work out.” — Peter Lynch
33. “Know what you own, and know why you own it.” — Peter Lynch
Lynch is right on the money again. Find out what the company is doing and also, know what you want from the investment.
34. “Everyone wants a piece of land. It’s the only sure investment, it can never depreciate like a car or a washing machine.” — Russell Sage
Real Estate is a favorite investment among the wealthy. So if you want to be wealthy…
35. “In any investment, you expect to have fun and make money.” — Michael Jordan
Investing should be fun. If you’re not having fun with your investments, find other investments.
36. “Invest in yourself, you can afford it, trust me.” — Rashon Carraway
Why so much about investing in yourself? Because it’s the right thing to do. You can depreciate or you can mature.
37. “Earn as much as you can, save as much as you can, invest as much as you can, give as much as you can.” — John Wesley
Earn, save, invest, and give – and do it all to your maximum ability. Don’t shop to do something with your money. You have these other amazing options that are much better and more fulfilling.
38. “90% of all millionaires become so through owning real estate.” — Andrew Carnegie
So many people undervalue real estate, but it’s your widest margin of opportunity for becoming a millionaire.
39. “Wise spending is part of wise investing. And it’s never too late to start.” — Rhonda Katz
This is a good reminder. Whenever you start, start! It’s never too late to be better off later.
40. “The wisest rule in investment is: when others are selling, buy. When others are buying, sell.” — Jonathan Sacks
It’s simple math! When the stock dips, grab up more investments, and when it’s high again, take your earnings. The selling part is important because that’s how you continue to grow your wealth. Just don’t sell when others are selling – that’s how you lose wealth.
41. “Investors should purchase stocks like they purchase groceries, not like they purchase perfume.” — Ben Graham
Stocks should be viewed as a weekly necessity and not a luxury item.
42. “When you invest, you are buying a day that you don’t have to work.” — Aya Laraya
You think you need a day off now? Just wait! Trust me, you’ll want it even more in 30 years.
43. “Investing time in yourself is the only safe investment that will give you maximum return throughout life.” — Lyrikal
Like a racecar driver investing in his machine, investing in yourself equips you to win more races.
44. “An investment in education is an investment in our future.” — David Wasinger
Again, not about student loan debt. Education is important, but there are other ways and means of education.
Quotes About Investing: Final Thoughts
Investing is easier than ever. It’s important to be careful with your money. However, it’s also never been a better time to start putting money away for the future.
If you are just getting started with investing, it doesn’t have to be complicated! Want to learn more about investing? Start with the Personal Finance Club Course. Don’t hesitate – take this first step to build your own portfolio.
Need even more motivation? Make sure to check out this list of 51 inspirational quotes about budgeting!